Monday, March 06, 2006

mere paperwork != success, plus education rant.

I'm teaching a nonmajors chemistry class right now. I was totally flummoxed when one of my Running Start students (advanced high school student) asked me why her grade was so low, since she'd turned in all of her homework.

Methinks... dear, you've gotten most of the homework problems wrong. This is why your grade is so low, eh...

And then, our lab tech set me straight. I live in south Snohomish County -- not overcrowded yet, but one of the fastest growing regions of the state. House prices and overdevelopment show it. Unfortunately the schools "can't keep up" (lame excuse, in my opinion)... as a result, students will turn in homework for all of their classes and receive full credit just for turning it in.

!!! What does this tell today's kids? Just by showing up for work and not doing anything, you can keep your job? (Ahem. Pardon me, that was the last place I worked.) In any case, it's the wrong message to send...

Crazy, I tell you... and just plain wrong.

No comments: