Tuesday, May 03, 2005

color my world

Forgive me this indulgence.

The past few days, when out running (fastidiously taping toes together), I have seen so much beautiful spring color... rhodys, lilacs, azaleas, forget-me-nots, other flowers totally unknown to me... it's incredible!

Bruce always laughs at me when I talk about this. You see, he's also from a lush land -- Long Island. His mom lives on a tree-lined country road.

Me, I'm from somewhere resembling a dry, barren wasteland with urban sprawl thrown on top. Lots of dust and dryness. There was the occasional planter filled with various flower types, and the lantana are nice during their brief blooming season (before they dry up and look like a dying insect)... but the vegetation in my hometown leaves much to be desired.

Which is why I love it so much here!

You think I would've long since gotten over the ubiquitous rhody in the lipstick red to hot pink range. But then you see two of those in a yard, neighboring a deep lavender azalea... the color combinations are wonderful.

There's a rhody down the street from me, on Cypress, that's the color of a creamsicle. ALl I can say is -- WOW.

Indulgence over. Back to your normal sarcasm.

No comments: