Thursday, December 08, 2005

midway through the southwest

RIP, perfect record. Until today, Southwest Airlines had a record of no deaths in any accident. Today, a child on the ground was killed.

The irony being... three months ago, I flew into Midway Airport on Southwest. While there was no snow, there was torrential rain. The turbulence coming in was horrible. We circled many times, waiting for the runway to open. I was a bit nervous.

Then, we flew over the airport, and I saw the runway. That tiny thing? I got more nervous.

We then came in for the approach. SLAM! and the brakes went on, hard. We made it to the gate unscathed, but again, I was a bit shaky.

Afterward, we learned that at Midway, the planes pretty much have to be slammed down and brought to a screeching halt, given the small airport size. I was also surprised, riding out of the airport on a cab, that less than a block away, there were residences, businesses... nothing that you'd typically see right up against an airport -- which, I'm sure, contributed to today's accident.

When we landed at Midway, I had no desire to land there again. Now... I really don't want to go to Midway. Some airports (perhaps prior to the jet era) are becoming outdated...

No comments: