Friday, December 23, 2005

robbery/beating on the street where I grew up

They say you can never go home. That's never been truer than it was today.

I'm visiting family for the holidays in Newark, CA. Bruce had stayed home, while my mom and I went out for a bit more Christmas shopping. We were about to make the left turn onto my mom's street when... a guy had stopped his car in the middle of the intersection, his door open, his hand in the air, shouting, "Call the police!"

He just stood there, saying nothing else, so we figured he wasn't all there. My mom drove around him and down a few driveways to her house. Meanwhile, two teenage-looking kids ran down to the end of the street. I thought nothing of it.

When we pulled in the driveway and got out of the car, the guy told us a bit more. An elderly woman had been walking down the cross street; the girl (running down the street) had punched the woman and the pair stole her purse. They dropped the purse having run most of the way down the street, but the poor woman had fallen to the ground, scraping up her hands, face, and legs.

My mom called the police and took a wet rag out to comfort and clean up the woman. Within seconds, the police had arrived. (Must say, I'm impressed with their response time.) We all did our best to describe the situation -- but to my horror, the guy who told us to call, in the first place, had already left. Wouldn't he have been the best witness?

Meanwhile, neighbors gathered around to show their support. Two or more police cars were parked where the purse had been found (minus $60, but otherwise intact), which was across the street from my mom's house and in front of my aunt and uncle's house. (During this time, said aunt and uncle pulled into the driveway, probably wondering at the police gathering in front of the house...)

As things went, I ended up being the primary witness other than the woman herself. I didn't even see the kids from the front -- only from 20-30 feet away. I felt helpless, wishing I could add more to their description. Still, the officer was appreciative.

But what really got me was something she said: "Sounds like the usual suspects."

???? When did such suspects start entering my hometown? Sure, it was never wealthy or high-class, but it was a community of people who got along and cared for each other. Now, it's filled with hate crimes against various ethnic groups, silly petty theft, and communities against one another.

Back in the '70's, I could go into any business in the city of Newark, and my family was known: "My daughter was in your mom's 1st grade class" or "You're H's granddaughter, aren't you?" Newark, you've come a long way -- you're no longer a bunch of neighbors caring for each other. If there were only a way to nip the crime in the bud.

And therefore, I can never truly go back home, because my home no longer exists.

No comments: