Saturday, March 19, 2005

100 things, part deux

To keep my mind off the pain of my currently exploding sinuses.

26. I have bad vision but hate glasses with a passion. Not for vanity reasons; I don't like that much weight on the bridge of my nose.
27. Shoveling snow is fun on occasion. Just not every day before going to work.
28. I've had multiple careers and still can't decide on one. Prior to data-analyzing, I was a college chemistry teacher, worked in various analysis positions at internet companies, and did biochem/mol bio bench research.
29. I kind of miss the experimental/research side of my life -- but there's so much rigid scheduling often involved that I'm not ready for, again.
30. I own 10 musical instruments -- some I don't play very well, but I can play at least a short little ditty on all but the violin. Other instruments include piano, alto sax, tenor sax, bari sax, clarinet, flute, acoustic guitar, electric bass, and trumpet. The piano and saxes get the most use.
31. A relaxing weekend morning for me often starts with 1-1 1/2 hours of running at a relaxed pace.
32. I can't remember the last time I wore makeup other than tinted lip gloss.
33. I have no fear of public speaking, and not much fear of public performance.
34. I tend to be far too direct and blunt, and have lost friends that way.
35. I didn't think Napoleon Dynamite was very funny. It was just a'right.
36. By the time I was 13, I'd visited over 30 states, but only one "foreign" country (Canada).
37. I like most roller coasters but not free-fall rides.
38. I could spend a long time browsing a gourmet market or foreign supermarket.
39. In fact, to me, part of the fun of overseas travel is to see how they live their day-to-day life differently -- translating to, avoid the touristy places and browse the everyday stores.
40. One of the more naive things I've done in life: in grad school, I chose the "cool thesis project" even though I was on a different wavelength than the advisor. You've gotta be able to communicate with your thesis advisor.
41. I can run 40+ miles a week and still carry around "that last 15 pounds".
42. I didn't admit it then, but I had an eating disorder my last year of college, potentially contributing to the sticking of said "last 15 pounds".
43. I'm not a huge fan of clothes shopping, but when I serendipitously find something that looks good on me and I buy it, that can make my day.
44. When I was a college faculty member, unlike many of my colleagues, I never cursed during lecture. I found it disrespectful to the class to do so.
45. I am a grad school dropout. When my mind wandered during every single lecture and seminar, I realized I needed a change.
46. And in my first gutsy move in life, I quit grad school with nothing else to turn to. I found some contract work at Genentech soon after.
47. I'm a piano singer-songwriter. I write songs that make me happy, or are cathartic in some way. And I love sharing my music.
48. I hated mangoes until I tried eating them with lime juice. Now I can't get enough of 'em.
49. I can't drink regular soda because everyone around me, while I grew up, drank diet. I got used to the lower sweetness levels.
50. I love cardamom and put it in many baked goods that call for cinnamon. An homage to my part-Swedish roots?

Tune in later for the next installment...

No comments: