Wednesday, March 16, 2005

take that

second post today, but gotta get something off my chest.

I'm a musician with a varied past -- big band singer, jazz pianist, jazz sax player, a cappella vocalist, singer/songwriter... etc. When I moved to Seattle a year ago, I jumped headfirst into the local music scene, and thanks to craigslist, I've ebbed and flowed with needs and interests.

A month ago, I met these guys who were doing a 6 part (4 guys, 2 girls) trip-hop group -- all vocals and a recorded vocal percussion track. I came to a rehearsal to replace their departing alto, and was later told that everyone was "intimidated" by my musical ability -- in a good way.

I've since been to about three other rehearsals -- the pace was on the slightly slower side in terms of learning songs, but the music was way cool. How many times have I sung The Lion Sleeps Tonight or other such common blather a cappella style? This was something totally different -- artsy, experimental.

Little did I know what was coming. I felt I interacted fine with the group in the few rehearsals I'd attended, though I clearly felt the most extroverted. But still, I held back and tried not to overwhelm. I just got an out-of-the-blue email from Band Leader Guy (who claims he prefers the phone, so I knew something was wrong) saying that I'm clearly talented but "the chemistry isn't working out". ??? I'm confused. Yeah, things still felt superficial with the group, but what do you expect after three meetings???

Anyway, I wrote back saying how confused I was, and asked what he felt was wrong. Though I don't know if I'll ever get a response. He was too spineless to call me in the first place...

Perhaps this is heading something off at the pass that would've been a problem on down the line. But it was fun for me on the way there. This is a sad moment for me.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Hey Brooke- that sucks. I have nothing useful to say but I know you were waiting on a comment :)