Sunday, March 27, 2005

Giving you a pizza my heart

Happy Easter, to those who celebrate. I ran again this morning, which gave me the appetite of a rhino, but I consider getting back to running a sort of "rebirth" for me. Hence the Easter run.

I had the most fantastic experience yesterday -- one might call it a "foodgasm". See, Bruce is from just outside NYC -- a very Sicilian town that makes real pizza. I've had some of this greasy, cheesy ambrosia (as well as similar stuff in Italy!) and while I'm happy enough with other inferior pies, nothing's as good as a real NY pizza.

The Seattle food scene... well, it kinda bites. Nothing spectacular, esp for someone who's lived in San Francisco. Pizza, especially, has been mostly too dry, not enough sauce, too salty a sauce... and I'd mostly given up.

Until yesterday.

I was famished (from running, and from planning a possible Oktoberfest trip) and after a round of studying Home Depot for more house fixin's, Bruce says... "there's a new Romio's in Mountlake Terrace. Let's try their pizza!"

I'd been to the Romio's in Magnolia/Queen Anne with Jessica, but we both had pasta dishes. They were pretty good. I hadn't tried their pizza.

"Sure," I said, thinking about replacing all the run-burned calories, and then some.

We ordered a plain cheese with gyro meat. (Gyros... YUMMMMM...) You see, a good pizza doesn't need 20 toppings to taste good, so this was a true test for us.

And... WOW. Words don't describe how close this comes to mafia-owned Scotto's Pizza in Great Neck. Thin crust. Toppings almost all the way to the edge. And the grease. Some might consider Romio's pizza too greasy, but it's all part of the NY way of doing things. I could've used a hint more sauce, but otherwise... WOW. Unfortunately it's not the dirt-cheap that Scotto's is... maybe that's a good thing, since we'd eat it more often otherwise.

We will be back.

No comments: