Friday, March 25, 2005

The weight is over

Double meaning to this title, of course... bad blogger, I haven't written anything for a few days. Chalk it up to being mildly feverish during the week from ongoing infection, which led to my dealing with a few situations a little too emotionally. I owe it all to several fabulous coworkers who listened to all of my whining and continue to provide support: Johanna, Heidi, Christine, Ian, and Hugh -- my hat is off to you.

The second meaning of this title... I'm finally getting back to regular weight routines at the gym, for the first time this year. Just after Jan 1st, I had some minor surgery on my left arm. Then, I injured my right hand (the story which I'll tell sometime, I'm sure). Finally, my upper extremities are healed enough to be able to hold a dumbbell. During my down time, I tried as much as I could with the few weight machines that didn't require grip... but it just wasn't the same.

Last Friday night (yeah, loser that I am -- Bruce plays Dungeons and Dragons on Fridays) I set out to the gym for my first full weight workout. I don't think I've ever hit the gym on a Friday night before -- it's crowded! Not what I was expecting. Anyway, I didn't follow much of a routine, but there were certain exercises I did just because I *could*. And after about 20 minutes, I could feel my right hand ache a bit -- and not a "good ache" -- so I took it a bit easy. But I tell ya, I couldn't have been more excited to hit the gym again.

Throughout my injured phase, I could almost see my shoulders shrinking, my chest drooping (face it, my chest won't "shrink" at my size), Popeye arms... but I didn't seem to lose that much tone. And now, a week later, after three weight workouts, I do believe I'm seeing progress in my upper body. So in the end, maybe the time off was a good thing.

Other than the fact that I hurt like hell last Saturday morning. :D Comes with the territory.

So don't mess with me! I'm strong... er... I'll probably still be achy from my last weightlifting session.

Happy beginning of Easter weekend! I'll be getting back, shortly, to the Thai Tomato Soup I just made from the last issue of Cooking Light (fyi, needs a hair more sugar than the recipe calls for). And a little bit more of the Dreyer's Light Thin Mint that mysteriously made its way into my cart. Hmmmm, however did *that* happen...

No comments: