Monday, March 14, 2005

that little yellow bracelet

I've finally put my finger on what bothers me about those LiveStrong bracelets. I have yet to be caught up in the craze, and never will be, as far as I'm concerned.

(warning: overgeneralization to follow. maybe you don't fall into this category, and I apologize if you don't.)

It's the same thing that bothered me about the post-9/11 "dove releasing" ceremony where I worked at the time. Many Americans -- dare I say most -- use this sort of thing as a type of "closure". Which is completely reasonable.

Yet I run into so many that use these opportunities to mentally pat themselves on the back, to say, "there, I've done my part, I don't have to think about that anymore." Whew, we bought the bracelet, the money goes toward cancer, I've done my good deed, now on with life.

Wouldn't it be nice if this attitude solved the world's problems?

Now, I'm not saying that we all need to think about a cure for cancer 24/7, especially those of us who lack experience or training in the appropriate fields. But cancer can't be cured by a single small donation. World peace won't be achieved by releasing a few doves into the sky. Sure, it's a nice gesture, but I ask that people revisit these topics on a semi-regular basis.

And that's why I won't buy a LiveStrong bracelet. Curing several varieties of cancer is done over a lifetime of small gestures... if we're lucky.

No comments: